Elderberry Shrub & Club
We love this recipe because it is so simple - just 2 ingredients! That’s it. There are a few options for mixing it up, depending on your preferences, but it is really that simple. It’s a great option for everyday enjoyment, and it can also be dressed up as a delicious, and interesting spirit-free cocktail (also known by some as a “mocktail”) to share with friends over dinner or a special occasion.
Our Elderberry Shrub combines the earthiness of our organic elderberries, the tang of organic apple cider vinegar with the smooth sweetness of honey. It adds interest and flavor to club soda and sparkling water, without also adding a ton of sugar.
Simple recipe for everyday
I love to pour myself a Shrub & Club on a weekday afternoon when I’m starting to feel a little tired, and want something more interesting than water to make it through the rest of the work day (no caffeine in the afternoon for me, or I’ll never get to sleep!).
Healthy mocktail for special occasions
I also love this recipe for special occasions, or times I might otherwise be having a glass of wine or cocktail. Don’t get me wrong - I still enjoy those from time to time, but I find myself more often looking for non-alcoholic beverage options. (See above re: caffeine. My body is also no longer as tolerant of alcohol. The joys of getting older!)
When I’m out to dinner or at a party, I find myself wanting something more interesting than water or tea, but without lots of sugar. This Elderberry Shrub & Club recipe has proven again and again to be the perfect solution - a simple yet interesting healthy mocktail.
Elderberry Shrub & Club
1 ounce Commonhealth Elderberry Shrub
8-12 ounces club soda, or your favorite fizzy drink
- Combine all ingredients over ice in a tall glass
- Stir well
- Garnish with mint or a lime wedge, and enjoy!
As I mentioned, there are a few ways to add some variety to this simple recipe.
Give these three alternatives a try
- Add some lime - squeeze some fresh lime juice in. The extra acidity is a delicious complement to the honey in the Shrub. And, if we’re being honest, there aren’t many drinks out there that don’t taste delicious with a little extra lime.
- Muddle some mint - If you’re going for the full cocktail experience, try cuddling some mint with the shrub before adding soda and ice. The freshness of the mint adds another dimension to this simple beverage.
- Try any of your favorite fizzy drinks - Don’t have club soda? Or don’t love it? No problem. I often substitute plain seltzer or mineral water - another excuse for Topo Chico? Yes, please! You can also experiment with flavored seltzer. Hint: lime is a great place to start.
The Elderberry Shrub & Club is a simple, healthy mocktail recipe that can be adjusted to suit any occasion. We love this recipe for its simplicity, and unique, not-too-sweet flavor. Whether you want to add some variety to your regular beverage repertoire or create an interesting, healthy mocktail to share with family and friends, this recipe has options to enjoy.