Elderberry Cardamom Crumb Cake
We love this recipe for its light texture and unique flavor. It combines the sweetness of strawberries and our Elderberry Shrub with the aromatic flavor of cardamom. The end result is a lightly sweet, flavorful cake that is absolutely delicious!
Cake for dessert...and breakfast?!
This recipe is an obvious choice for dessert. I highly recommend it served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (in case you haven’t noticed, we think vanilla ice cream goes with everything!). The light texture of this cake absorbs the ice cream perfectly, and vanilla and cardamom are a delicious flavor combination.
And you know what else is a delicious flavor combination? This cake and coffee! Try lightly toasting a slice with a little butter, and enjoy it in the morning with your favorite cup of coffee. You’ll be so happy you did!
More about cardamom
Cardamom is a spice from the ginger family that is often used in Indian and Middle Eastern cuisine, for both sweet and savory dishes. I use cardamom most frequently in my kitchen as part of the spice blendgaram masala, and in the delicious hot tea beverage,masala chai.
It can sometimes be hard to find cardamom already ground. I often buy cardamom pods, and then remove and grind the seeds myself with a mortar and pestle.
Mix up the flavor
While I love the flavor of cardamom, there are several other ways to mix up the flavor of this recipe. Other warming spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger can be delicious substitutions. Try it with just cinnamon, or equal parts cinnamon and nutmeg. Try it with a touch of powdered ginger.
Elderberry and Strawberry Cardamom Crumb Cake
Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins
1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 ¾ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
½ cup milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 oz strawberries sliced (around 3/4 cup)
1 ½ tbsp elderberry shrub
¾ stick unsalted butter, melted
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
2 tbsp granulated sugar
¾ tsp ground cardamom
⅛ tsp salt
1 cup all purpose flour
Prepare the strawberries
- Combine sliced strawberries and elderberry shrub in a small bowl, and leave to macerate for at least 15 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F, with a rack in the middle. Butter a 9 inch round cake pan and dust with flour.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- Whisk together the butter, milk, and eggs in a large bowl.
- Whisk in flour mixture just until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan.
- Add the macerated strawberries, spreading them out evenly along with the shrub on top of the batter.
Make crumb topping
- Whisk together the butter, sugars, cardamom, and salt until well combined.
- Stir in flour until incorporated.
- Use your hands to break the topping into large clumps and spread them on top of the strawberries and cake batter.
- Bake the cake for 40-45 minutes at 375 F, until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Recipe by Marta Maliszewska
Marta is a second year student at the University of Virginia, majoring in English and Philosophy. Marta has enjoyed cooking for as long as she can remember, and she puts those skills to use making elaborate surprise birthday meals for her two younger sisters every year. She has also created some pretty delicious Commonhealth recipes, including this one, which is her favorite!